img.latex_eq { padding: 0; margin: 0; border: 0; }

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Numerology at the Movies

Were I to make a list of dream jobs, film critic would easily be in the top five. I love movies. I see a ton anyway. Why not get paid to write about them? Almost any genre piques my interest, and I will give a director a lot of leeway when it comes to the suspension of disbelief. On occasion, though, a movie's premise is so in conflict with my outlook on the world, that I can tell from the preview that it will only give me a headache. Jim Carrey's new thriller The Number 23 is going to be one like that.

From what I can tell, it will spend some two hours posing irrational conundrums, deifying coincidences, and bastardizing mathematics in the hope of scoring at the box office. As much as I would like Jim to succeed in a dramatic role, I wish he would be more choosy. This one promises to have all the disjointed temporal craziness of Eternal Sunshine without the quirky humor. Hollywood occasionally scores with math movies like, Pi, Proof, or An Innocent Mind, but I don't think I'm going out on a limb by predicting that this one will be a big zero.

In short, unless you are referring to the greatest basketball player that ever lived, leave the number 23 alone.

No comments: