img.latex_eq { padding: 0; margin: 0; border: 0; }

Friday, September 5, 2008

Where I'm From

So my first assignment for Culture and Community is to right a poem. It is supposed to be modeled on Where I'm From by George Ella Lyon. Here is a rough draft. Feel free to critique.

WHERE I'M FROM

I am from the streets
(of suburbia.)
From circles to courts and cul-de-sacs.
I am from Big Wheels and lemonade stands,
from broken bones to broken homes,
and always at Pizza Hut.
I am from where the street only goes in one direction.

I am from t-shirts and Bible Belts,
from funnel cakes and Rocky Top.
(Man, I hate that song.)
I am from Frisbee and tenor clefs,
from matinees and tender feet.
I am from sadness and euphoria.

I am from behind the scenes to on-stage,
where everything is backwards.
I am from perennials and postholes,
from what do you want to be when you grow up
to you can't get there from here.
I am from the library.

I am from GA to ME
on foot over mountains.
I am from spotty dogs and smelly socks,
from sunsets to morning dew,
from heavy hearts to ultra-light.
I am from the do-overs to the birds ablaze.
Where the street now goes in both directions.

No comments: