img.latex_eq { padding: 0; margin: 0; border: 0; }

Saturday, July 21, 2007

Are You God at Math? (Part II)

Although I am currently a happy resident of New England, I grew up in the heart of the Bible Belt. At my high school college fair, the infamously conservative Bob Jones University had a prominent booth. My friend and I decided to have a little bit of fun with their representative. Two of them, both guys, went up to the booth holding hands and asked about residence hall assignments. The BJU rep was too stupid to realize he was being made fun of, telling them that his school was not for them. It seems there is no end to BJU's efforts to curtail the social and intellectual freedoms of their students. In addition to restrictive dress codes and curfews, BJU has gone so far as to outlaw inter-racial dating. Hard to believe, but true.

Now it seems they have begun attacking our beloved mathematics. They have produced a textbook for Christian schools that embeds religious propaganda with algebra and geometry. Seriously, folks, I know that God Created the Integers, but this is ridiculous.

No comments: