img.latex_eq { padding: 0; margin: 0; border: 0; }

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Writing to Learn Math

I have a new tutoring student starting tomorrow. She has always gotten A's in math, but she works very hard to do so. Next fall, she begins Algebra I and her parents have opted to put her into the accelerated program, fearing she would be bored in the standard pace. To give her a bit of a head start, they asked me to work with her once a week for the rest of the summer. We got a copy of the actual textbook she will use from the school and I have started preparing some lessons.

Since I have curriculum design on the brain, I am making a concerted effort to design an actual curriculum, rather than just work through the text. Her favorite subject is language arts and she loves to write. As a pre-assessment, in addition to having her complete a skills review, I have asked to read some of her writing. I don't have a lot of time to get to know her and I thought that might help. Additionally, I have purchased a bound sketchbook which I am going to make her math journal. I want her to keep all of her notes and assignments in it, but I also want her to have a place to jot down her thoughts and questions about math. Ideally, it will be equal parts mathematical notation and writing.

I'll let you know how she responds to it.

No comments: