img.latex_eq { padding: 0; margin: 0; border: 0; }

Wednesday, May 2, 2007

My Greatest Fear

I'm scared...

  • that I won't be able to get through to my students.
  • that I'll give everything I have and more, and it still won't matter.
  • that as hard as I fight, the system will fight back harder.
  • that I will fail myself and fail them.
  • that no matter how hard I try, I will never be able to persuade my students to call me Oh Captain, My Captain.
  • that despite my best efforts, my students will hate math.
  • that the only thing my students will hate more than math is me.
  • that I will get so wrapped up in changing the world that I will lose her in the process.
  • that I will sacrifice having a family of my own for the chance at making a difference in the lives of children I may never see again.
  • that being the change I wish to see in the world won't be enough.
  • that the only reason I have been successful so far is that I haven't tried to do anything really hard yet.
  • of more things than I can think of.

But I will not let my fears stand in my way.

No comments: